Sunday, March 4, 2012

Peacock Feather Earrings


If you follow me on Pinterest, then you may have seen my pin regarding Peacock Feather earrings.  The original post was by Simply Allis. So while having a craft day with a friend and neighbor, I decided to give them a shot.  I had and still have a bunch of peacock feathers that my mom gave me a long time ago, seriously it was probably sometime in high school, how they have lasted this long one only knows. (I am sure the age of the feathers is why the long strands look a little battered.)  I debated on trimming the feathers but as you can see I didn't.




What I used; peacock feathers, earring hooks, crimps, thread, modge podge (love that stuff!), thin jewelry wire.  I started by cutting and trimming the feather so I had a nice shape, then I stripped a little of the feathers off the quill leaving about an inch. (Sorry I don't have pictures showing the process.) I took the wire and threaded it through the earring hook so that about an inch of the wire hung from the hook, (it should be folded in half looking like two pieces hanging.) Take a crimp and slide the wires through it, but do not crimp yet!  Take the feather and carefully put the quill between the wire and in the crimp. Using pliers, crimp until snug.  I then took blue thread and dipped in modge podge, and wrapped the quill and wires.  Hang to dry. There you go.

I recently cut my hair, and think I like the way they looked with longer hair better but, that is ok I will wear them any way!

Original earrings from Simply Allis
And FYI...I could pull them off!

No comments:

Post a Comment