Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream


We tend to always have ice cream in our house...always.  Over the summer my father-in-law gave us our own ice cream maker, our own hot pink ice cream maker! So I decided that I was going to make a super chocolate ice cream to go along with the Super Chocolate Cake for my husbands birthday but...time got away from me so that didn't happen.  I happened to have egg yolks left over from the marshmallow fluff, so I needed to make the ice cream before the yolks turned.  And there is no reason why you can't make homemade ice cream in the middle of the week.

I looked around to find a basic starter so I could then tweak it and what I came up with was this:

5 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 pint of whole chocolate milk
1/2 heavy cream
1 cup dark chocolate chips

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate with the milk and cream.  While the chocolate is melting, beat the yolks and sugar until the yolks become bright yellow.  Once the chocolate is melted and mixed with the milk, slowly add about a cup of the hot mix to the egg yolks.  Pour the egg mixture in to the remainder of the milk mix and stir until combined.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

My Hot Pink Deni
Pour the custard mixture into your ice cream maker, per your ice cream makers instructions.  Mine churned for about 25 mins. I then added crushed heath bars and the remainder of the dark chocolate chips roughly chopped. It was the consistency of soft serve, for a more frozen ice cream freeze overnight.

We froze it overnight (after spoonfuls of tasting).  It was a struggle to wait, trust me, I really wanted to just scoop some into a cone and chow down. 

The wait was worth it, a super rich chocolate ice cream!  And I must say, it was made even better by the crushed heath bar. 



Kid Approved!!

Now that I have my first ice cream under my belt, I can't wait to experiment with different flavors.  Chocolate is always a go to and I can eat it everyday but now...I will take it to a new level.  I also want to try some dairy free versions.  I can't wait!

enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment