Sunday, March 25, 2012

Meatless Monday: Cauliflower & Mushroom Pasta

Lately when it comes to meatless meals I lean towards pasta dishes, I am sure it do to the fact my husband will usually at least try anything was pasta. This week was no different.



When I went grocery shopping I had it in my head I wanted to use cauliflower but didn't really know what I wanted to make, I also picked up baby portabella mushrooms because they looked good. I have been trying to get my husband to eat cauliflower for a while but he never will, I must say it gets frustrating! You can't not like something if you have never tried it (or if it has been more than twenty years, there's a statute of limitations on everything.) Anyway...

I would really like to make more family meatless meals but because of my husbands eating habits I fund it difficult. Unlike him I do not need to eat meat at every meal. I have gotten him to try and like new things so one step at a time. And by the way...he tried and liked this pasta dish. He didn't know what was in and he said he liked it! So yay!

Onto the pasta...

1 medium head of cauliflower
2 tbsp olive oil, split
1/2 pound mushrooms
1/2 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 box of pasta, I used rigatoni
Grated parmesan, optional

Heat oven to 350 degrees and bring a pot of water to boil.

Chop/break the cauliflower into bite size pieces. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven for about 20 mins until tender.

Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms and onion and mince the garlic. Sauté in the remaining olive oil until the onions are just translucent. Add pasta to boiling water.

Remove the cauliflower from the oven and add to the mushrooms, add the vegetable broth. Toss all together and simmer until pasta is cooked. Add the pasta to the vegetables. Serve with parmesan cheese.



Baked version with Parmesan cheese through out.

No comments:

Post a Comment