Monday, May 14, 2012

Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream (Dairy Free)

Finding a good dairy free ice cream isn't too hard to find, I have always been fond of Rice Dream, but since I now have my own ice cream maker I decided that I wanted to make my own.  I thought of all the dairy free milks out there now and decided that almond and coconut would probably make a for good flavor.  Yes, soy and rice would be good too but I was looking for something just a little different. I settled on coconut.  I debated if I was just going to do straight coconut or add some fruit. Since strawberries are in season right now, it just seemed like a good pairing.
This is such an easy recipe, you could use the coconut milk in the dairy section but I used the canned because there isn't much more added to the milk. Honestly I didn't even look at the ingredients in the refrigerated version but I am sure there is at least sweeteners added.

The recipe:

2 cans coconut milk, full fat (about 3 1/2 cups)
3/4 cups white sugar
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Mix the milk and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. (I mixed together and then placed it in the refrigerator for a few hours for the sugar to really dissolved, then stirred again) Mix in strawberries and coconut.  Add to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions.  The ice cream is still very soft right out of the machine, so transfer to a container and freeze for at least 2 hours or overnight.

OK so I had to look it up...

Here is the nutritional information for Silk Pure Coconut Milk and Taste of Thai Coconut Milk, I used Taste of Thai.  Taste of Thai is not as healthy, but is is the full fat version (comparable to 2% regular milk), if you were to buy the Lite Version it only has 50 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. Silk is a lower fat version with some extras added.

<><> <><>
Taste of Thai Coconut Milk
Nutrition Facts
SERVING SIZE: 1/3 cup (80ml)
SERVINGS: 5 per container
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 120
Calories from Fat: 100
%Daily Value*
Total Fat: 11 g 17 %
Saturated Fat 10 g
49 %
Trans Fat 0 g
0 %
Cholesterol 0 mg0 %
Sodium 25 mg1 %
Total Carbohydrates 2 g1 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g
0 %
Sugars 2 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A0 %
Vitamin C0 %
Calcium0 %
Iron4 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
TRANS FAT FREE | MSG FREE
GLUTEN FREE | PRESERVATIVE FREE
Ingredients: Coconut, water, guar gum (a stabilizer).
Allergens:Contains coconut.
Shake Well Before Using. Any Solids Will Liquefy During Cooking. Store Any Unused Portions In Airtight Plastic Container In Refrigerator Up To 10 Days; In Freezer Up To 3 Months.

Silk Pure Coconut Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment