Sunday, May 6, 2012

Banana Chip Muffins (Vegan)


It seems as if we buy bananas at every trip to the grocery store, we usually eat them all but there are times when we have other fruit that needs to be eaten as well, which in turn leaves uneaten over ripe bananas. In our house once they are super yellow they are too ripe and if there are spots, forget it! I am always looking for something different to make with over ripe bananas, and because I seem to be on this dairy free, vegetarian kick, I am also looking for recipes that fit those catorgories. (Side note: I never throw out over ripe bananas, if I can't use them I freeze them for later.)  Since I made banana bread last time, I decided on a muffin.  This muffin ended up having more of a cake consistancy than a muffin one so it makes it even better.


Banana Chip Muffins

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 large ripe bananas. mashed
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup carob chips
Cinnamon Sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)

Preheat the ovon to 350 degrees, prepare muffin pan with paper liners or cooking spray.

Mix the flour, baking powder, soda and salt together and set aside.  In a large bowl,  mix the bananas, sugar, oil and vanilla until well combined. Fold in the carob chips.

Fill muffin pan about 3/4 full, decorate with a slice of banana and/or cinnamon sugar. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment