Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July Summer Berry Pies

I tend to always look for an excuse to make a pie and what's better then sharing your pie with good friends. So when I was thinking of what to make for our friends 4th of July party my mind instantly went to blueberries, since they are now in full season. What I decided to make? A classic Blueberry Pie (or at least what I think of classic.) I also had some strawberries that I froze a few weeks ago, so I decided to also make a Strawberry and Hazelnut Cream Galette. (A galette is just a free form tart or pie, not the most photogenic of the pies.)




Blueberry Pie

1 basic pie crust, homemade or store bought
I added a dash of almond extract to my homemade pie dough, this is optional.

Filling:
5 cups fresh blueberries
3/4 cup sugar, more or less depending on the sweetness of the berries
3 tbsp cornstarch
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl toss all the filling ingredients. Set aside.

Roll out the dough for a 9" pie crust. Lay in pan and crimp edges.

Pour filling into pie crust. Bake for about 50 minutes.



Strawberry & Hazelnut Cream Galette

1 basic pie crust

Filling:
2 cups fresh strawberries
2/3 cups blueberries (optional)
2/3 cups sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup hazelnut cream cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Roll out dough to about a 12" diameter circle. Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.

Working from the center, spread the cream cheese out leaving about two inches around the edge. Pour the berry mixture onto the center, keeping about two inches around the edge.

Carefully fold over the edge of the pie crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Place in the oven and bake for about 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment