Monday, November 22, 2010

Cauliflower Gratin

After my sons birthday party we had a lot of veggies left over so I was trying to think of ways to use them up and in a way that my husband would eat it. So I decided on adding cheese, cheese makes everything better. So because we had the most cauliflower left I decided to make a cauliflower gratin.

For this recipe I used two types of cheese, a sharp Celtic cheddar which is tastes almost like a Parmesan and a mild monterey jack.



1/4 head of cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
3 tbsp. Butter
1 1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. Flour
1/4 lb. or 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 lb. or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
Pinch dry mustard
Pinch nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1/8 cup bread crumbs



Boil the cauliflower in salted water for about 10 minutes just until tender. Drain and put in a buttered casserole dish. Set aside.



Bring milk, butter and flour to a boil until it starts to thicken. Add about 3/4 of the cheese, the mustard, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until melted and combined.



Pour over cauliflower. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.



Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 mins, just until golden and bubbly.



Now, if my husband doesn't like cauliflower smothered in cheese I don't think he will ever like cauliflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment