Monday, September 27, 2010

Make Ahead Burritos

I am big on finding things I can make ahead, either for dinner or lunch.  I have found so far that Mexican seems to be great for make ahead meals.  A lot of it you can make, and freeze and they become really good quick weeknight meals. Our house loves Mexican so it never seems to be an issue if we eat it twice a week or more. 

Now dinner is one thing and lunches well they are another.  I tend to focus on my sons lunches and not my own. So I tend to grab the closest left over and throw it in my bag.  I desided that I was going to make a batch of sandwiches or something that I could freeze so I could just grab it and go.  What I came up with were burritos!

Ingredients

• 2 cups uncooked brown rice
• 4 cups water
• 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
• 2 (15.5 ounce) cans pinto beans
• 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn
• 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
• 16 (10 inch) flour tortillas
• 1 pound shredded pepperjack cheese

Directions

1. Combine rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool.

2. Place black beans and pinto beans into a colander or strainer, and rinse. Add corn and diced tomatoes with green chilies, and toss to mix. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in rice and cheese.

3. Divide the mixture evenly among the tortillas, and roll up. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, place into a large freezer bag, and freeze. Reheat as needed in the microwave for lunch or snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment