Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fruity Parfait

So because there are so many great fresh foods to choose from this time of year, I have been able to make a lot of food for my son. I was freezing every thing in 1/4 cups but have since gone to the simple ice cube tray, why? Well I don't mix anything before freezing and by using just the ice cube tray you get a small cube and mix different cubes to make different combinations. (I have even cut cubes in half.) Now there are times when I take short cuts, like with Apples, it is just some much easier to buy a jar of applesauce, I still freeze it in cubes so it will last longer. I have also done the same with pear sauce.

The most recent recipe that my son loves is apples, blueberry, and banana. The only cooking that is required is the blueberry sauce. Mix all the ingredients together and add cereal, cottage cheese, or ricotta if you child is old enough. This is something I would eat for breakfast.

For the blueberry sauce:

10 oz frozen or 1 qt fresh blueberries

Steam the blueberries for about 10 minutes, discard most of the liquid reserving some of the now blueberry water.

Purée the blueberries to a desired consistency. At this point you can strain the purée or leave the skins in. Pour purée into a small sauce pan and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken slightly. Pour into the ice cube trays and freeze for up to 3 months or refrigerate and use within 2-3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment