Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dark Chocolate Brownies (let's try this again)


I'm always looking for ways to tell myself that something is healthy so I don't feel bad eating it. I know it isn't really heathy but hey whatever I can tell myself. So here is my most recent, Dark Chocolate Brownies...secret ingredient: zucchini. Yes zucchini, it makes the brownies extra moist, and your sneaking in a veggie! So both dark chocolate is good and so is the zucchini, in turn we have "healthy" brownies.

This is also a great way to use up zucchini, because I don't know about you but between grilled, fried, baked and turned into bread; sometimes I want something a little different. This is the perfect way to do it.

Dark Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
(This recipe is adapted from Food + Words blog, Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies.)

2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or smooth applesauce)
1 cup flour
1/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or another type of chocolate chip or none)
2 cups finely shredded zucchini, squeezed/drained of any excess liquid

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8" x 8" baking dish with parchment paper and cooking spray.

Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, sugar and oil (or applesauce) until just combined.

Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. Mix well. The batter will be thick. Fold in the shredded zucchini, make sure to mix well so you don't have any clumps. (Unless you tell them, people won't know there is zucchini in them.) Fold in the chocolate chips and pour the batter unto the prepared pan.

Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment