Monday, January 3, 2011

Holiday Roast

I  hosted Christmas at our house this year and I didn't want to do turkey or ham.  I wanted to do something different.  Christmas Eve we had lasagna with salad and garlic bread but for Christmas day I wanted to do something just a little more special.  I decided on a Beef Roast, with scalloped potatoes, green beans and salad.  We didn't go over the top, I didn't want to have a lot of leftovers (I actually still had leftovers from Thanksgiving in my fridge.)

This roast was so easy  and it was a hit, I actually wish I would have made a larger roast so we could have more leftovers!

Holiday Roast

1/4 cupGF flour (3 tablespoons for gravy)
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
1 - 3 to 4 pound boneless roast


Combine the first 5 ingredients, reserving flour for gravy. Cover the mixture over the roast.

Place roast fat side down on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.

Bake uncovered, at 325 degrees for about 2 to 3 hours or until meat thermometer registers your desired degree of doneness.  135 degrees for medium-rare, 165 degrees for medium.

Gravy

1 cup dry red wine (I used the red that was open at the time)
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water

In  a small sauce pan, add the liquid ingredients just til simmering.

Once you remove the roast, in the roasting pan add liquid. Whisk all together, slowly add flour to thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment