Monday, January 3, 2011

Holiday Roast

I  hosted Christmas at our house this year and I didn't want to do turkey or ham.  I wanted to do something different.  Christmas Eve we had lasagna with salad and garlic bread but for Christmas day I wanted to do something just a little more special.  I decided on a Beef Roast, with scalloped potatoes, green beans and salad.  We didn't go over the top, I didn't want to have a lot of leftovers (I actually still had leftovers from Thanksgiving in my fridge.)

This roast was so easy  and it was a hit, I actually wish I would have made a larger roast so we could have more leftovers!

Holiday Roast

1/4 cupGF flour (3 tablespoons for gravy)
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
1 - 3 to 4 pound boneless roast


Combine the first 5 ingredients, reserving flour for gravy. Cover the mixture over the roast.

Place roast fat side down on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.

Bake uncovered, at 325 degrees for about 2 to 3 hours or until meat thermometer registers your desired degree of doneness.  135 degrees for medium-rare, 165 degrees for medium.

Gravy

1 cup dry red wine (I used the red that was open at the time)
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water

In  a small sauce pan, add the liquid ingredients just til simmering.

Once you remove the roast, in the roasting pan add liquid. Whisk all together, slowly add flour to thicken.