Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fall in full swing at Shaw Orchards



Today my family and I went to visit Shaw Orchards, it is located in Stewartstown Pennsylvania right on the PA Maryland line (half the orchards are probably actually in Maryland). The family farm has been around since the 1890's, I am not sure how large the farm is but it covers a good amount of land.  Since fall is in full swing, and it is apple and pumpkin season...we rode the hayride to pick our own pumpkin.  I also, bought apples to make an apple pie and stewed apples for my son.


There were many apples to choose from, from the local York apple to the common Red Delicious.  We bought a type called Nittany, which if you didn't already guess is a Pennsylvania apple.  It is tart and sweet and very juicy.

There were also may pumpkins and gourds to choose from, it was chilly and windy out in the pumpkin patch!





My son and husband on the hayride out to the pumpkin patch

My son and husband with their pumpkin

 If you are in the area it is worth the drive, you can get all types of butters, preserves, other baked goods and of course cider.  You can also see their production line, where you can watch the apples come in from the fields and taken with conveyor belts to get cleaned and sorted.  This time of year you can pick your own (PYO) pumpkins and apples, but at different times of year you can also PYO cherries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, nectarines and apricots (I may have missed something, but you get the idea.)  Check out their website for the latest in whats ripe and in season and for the times and directions.  I do recommend getting there early if you plan on PYO, before 10 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment