Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Bread. Gluten Free, Homemade and Delish


Since being Gluten Free (GF) I don’t eat a lot of bread, I never really have, but occasionally I do crave a sandwich or just a good buttered piece of toast.  A lot of GF breads are dry, dense and expensive.  My personal favorite is Udi’s, it seems a little lighter and has a good flavor, but it still needs to be toasted.  Eating it out of the bag is just too dry for me.  As with a lot of GF breads, I also keep it in the freezer and only remove what I need because at 5-6 dollars a loaf I try to stretch it out as long as possible.  Well this past weekend I decided that I wasn’t going to buy another loaf, I was going to make it. 

The perks of making your own bread it that it tends to be cheaper, makes your house smell good and you know exactly what is in it.  The bad thing, it tends to go bad much quicker, but I slice and freeze it so I don’t have to worry about it going bad before I eat it all. Now…I don’t bake much bread, it is one of those things that I always want to do, but just doesn’t happen much. So I did some searching for GF bread recipes that seem to have good reviews or that just sounded good.  Now that I have a kitchen scale, I am hoping that I will be able to do more experimenting with my own bread recipes, it’s all about ratios.


The recipe I ended up trying was from The Gluten Free Cooking School, I don't have a bread machine so I made it the conventional way and used regular yeast (opposed to bread machine yeast in the recipe).  It turned out great! It had a nice crusty outside and was soft and moist inside.  Even the next day it still wasn't dry or crumbly.  I would highly recommend trying it out, I will definitely be making it again!

For the recipe click here


Links to other blogs that had/have some great information on GF bread making....


*My camera batteries died so I don't have many pictures...and the one shown is from my husbands phone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment