Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Meatless Monday: Stuffed Poblano Peppers


I went out on a limb for this one because I made these knowing that my husband doesn't like peppers and/or onions. (Also, I want to apologize for the picture, it's not the best.) I really enjoyed this meal, you could easily add meat to these or even just eat them as a side dish but I ate them as my meal. And when I say "I" I mean just me, first my son tried them he was ok with the rice filling but didn't care for the pepper and basically Nic had the same reaction. His thought was they would be really good if I didn't use the pepper. Anyway.

I would say that Poblano peppers are by far my favorite type of pepper. Especially when roasted. I did roast my peppers before stuffing them, but you don't have too. After I roasted them, I placed them in a bowl covered in plastic wrap and let them sweat so I was able to easily remove the skin. Once the skin is removed I carefully cut the peppers in half and removed the seeds. Then just spoon the filling in the pepper halves.

For the filling, I cooked 1 cup of white rice. While the rice cooked I sautéd onions, garlic and some left over pepper in some olive oil. I then added the rice, corn and some taco seasoning. Mixed well, removed from heat and stirred in some Colby-Jack cheese. Once in the pepper I sprinkled more cheese on top.
Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted, then add some taco or hot sauce on top after it is out of the oven. Serve with a green salad.

Options that I would do if I was just eating them (and I would have done this if I new it would just be me) is add black beans to the mixture to make it more hardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment